by Tim Caverly
Illustrations by Franklin Manzo, Jr
“Mom, will you make daddy go to bed?” the little girl cried. “Santa will never come if he doesn’t come upstairs!”
Imagine if you will, a literary journey that allows you to travel back to Christmas day in 1953. Once there, you’ll become a member of a family whose roots are traced back to the Mayflower and share in their traditions of Christmas holidays and experiences through the 20th into the 21st Century.
In this book of six short stories, travel from the villages of Cornville to Corinth –– from Machias to Millinocket –– then venture north into the heart of the Allagash Wilderness; where we’ll return to the year 1901 and relive a forgotten history. Read about a typical New England family’s hopes, customs, and sometimes… their fears.
But we must wonder, will the Spirit of Christmas always make it through economic hardships, absence of family members, and storms that snowbound whole communities? What is it that makes Christmas so special? The gifts, the people, the food, the religious celebrations––or could it be all of those and even something more?
AVAILABLE in October of 2018
One story from ‘TIS THE SEASON IN MAINE has been excerpted for study in Maine Elementary Classrooms, and elsewhere, it details the Christmas spend by the Caverly family when Tim was Elementary School age.
CHRISTMAS IN CORNVILLE
“It’s bedtime on Christmas Eve and a blizzard is covering a small community in central Maine. All day two young brothers had anticipated having their holiday tree up in time for Santa to find. But at nightfall there isn’t a Christmas tree in sight, much less decorated!”
Imagine if you will, a literary journey that allows you to travel back to Christmas day in 1953. Where you’ll join a family, whose roots are traced back to the Mayflower and share in their traditions of Christmas holidays and experiences.
In this book visit a one-room school and home in Cornville, Maine and read about a typical New England family’s hopes, customs, and sometimes…, their fears.
But we must wonder, will the Spirit of Christmas always make it through snowstorms, economic hardships, and absences of family members? What is it that makes Christmas so special-the gifts, the people, the food, the celebrations, or could it be all of those and perhaps even something more?
SEE BELOW TO PURCHASE
PRODUCT DETAILS: (Buy from the Purchasing Section, below)
- Paperback: 136 pages
- Publisher: Caverly & Manzo Enterprises (2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 978-1-7322456-3-1
- ISBN-13: TBA
Package Dimensions: 8.5 x 5.5
Shipping Weight: 1 lb
- BISAC: Non-Fiction/Collections/Holiday/Christmas Stories
- LIST PRICE: $16.95
- info coming soon
- File Size: 19076KB
- Print Length: 113 pages
- Publisher: Leicester Bay Books; 1st edition KINDLE
- Publication Date: October 24, 2018
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B07JQ7SWDR
- Kindle List Price: $7.99
PREVIEW THE FIRST CHAPTER
- a PDF PreviewPages file is available and contains the front matter, the Prologue, and Chapter Two: TisTheSeasonPREVIEW1
- The author has established a FACEBOOK fan page — HERE
REVIEWS & COMMENTS
Great stories of Christmas in the Allagash
October 25, 2018 Book Reviews, Maine Woods
By George Smith BANGOR DAILY NEWS
“Christmas in the very remote Allagash Wilderness Waterway was a challenge, and I loved the stories that Tim Caverly shared with us in his book, Tis the Season In Maine, co-authored by Frank Manzo Jr. Just getting family members to Tim’s Allagash cabin was a challenge.
Tim tells us, in the preface, that this book “of my family’s experiences of Christmas through the ages… is intended to be read before the gift giving holiday. It is our desire that the memoirs found in this anthology will stimulate recollection and discussion among your family and friends… remembrances that will serve to keep traditions alive and perhaps inspire new customs to progress through time; so that loved ones are encouraged to join for every holiday.”
Well, your book definitely brought back some great Christmas memories for me, Tim, from searching the woods for a perfect tree to trying to stay awake on Christmas Eve to hear Santa arrive (I never succeeded). Our family now gathers on Christmas day at our Mount Vernon home, a very special time.
Tim may stimulate your memories at the end of some of his stories, where he posts a blank page with a question, such as “Memories of Christmas when I was a younger child.” You are encouraged to write your own story.
Tim does start us out with Christmas stories when he was young, before he got to the Allagash. He has written 8 books and I really admire him for his work with and commitment to children. Through their “New England Reads” literacy project, Tim and Frank have provided 234 Powerpoint programs for 8,000 students. They have also donated over 1750 Allagash Tails books to 146 New England schools.
Please get this book now, before Christmas, and enjoy Tim’s Christmas stories as you remember your own.”
- Purchase a PAPERBACK PRINT version for $16.95 (+ shipping and handling and Maine Sales Tax) through us by using our PayPal Shopping Cart and the “Add To Cart” button below. (Be sure to enter your zip code when prompted to enable the correct shipping charges so you get your book(s) in a timely manner.)
- Purchase the KINDLE version for $7.99 directly from Amazon.com (HERE)
Christmas In Cornville is available in two formats:
- Teacher Guidebook ($17.95 + shipping and handling. NO TAX FOR SCHOOLS.) It includes the text and lots of ideas, exercises and worksheets for the students.
- Student Workbook ($12.95 + shipping and handling. NO TAX FOR SCHOOLS.) It includes the text and worksheets for the students.
- CLASSROOM SET — includes 1 Teacher Guidebook and 25 Student Workbooks ($280.00 [for 26 books] NO TAX, includes shipping)
MORE BOOKS FROM THE ALLAGASH TAILS COLLECTION
Libraries, Bookstores and Resellers
- There is a long list of Maine outlets selling the PRINT version of this book. Bookstores and Outfitter/Sporting Goods stores across the state carry it.
- Please contact us for wholesale pricing.
Contact us by email for a quote on Library and wholesale prices. We will then send you a PayPal invoice. Do not order from this page.
From the catalog of